Monday, July 13, 2009

Possible job oppurtunity and more

Well, I have a job opportunity that I'm not sure whether to go with or not. By posting it here, I'm hoping to get some input since I only have a week to decide. I managed to find an opportunity to officiate girls' volleyball for the elementary and middle schools in Fresno Unified and Clovis Unified. It pays $34 for the elementary school games and $46 for the middle school games (or $23 if you are one of 2 people working). And of course with middle school, you have 2 games (7th and 8th grade). Plus you can be a linechecker for the Varsity games at the high school level ($35.) All the times work with my schedule so I wouldn't have to say that I couldn't work something. However there are upfront costs. There is a yearly membership fee ($50) to be a part of the officiating services in addition to a starter pack ($68) and official polo ($37). The latter two items can be taken out of your first paycheck though which is nice. And then I would also need to get navy blue slacks and white tennis shoes (all mine have some sort of color on them). It seems like something I could do for a few years in addition to school and my concert staff job. I would make the money back, and if I decided to continue next year all that would be required is the yearly membership fee. There were several people at the first meeting tonight who said that it was a great job and pays well (was getting $92 a day for working 2 middle school games in 1 day). Would this be something you would take advantage of?

My other concerns are with my possible promotion with Concert Staff, although I don't foresee a HUGE problem, although there may be some. And there is also a chance I don't get the promotion since I have yet to get called about it. I'll be placing a call tomorrow to the Music Dept office about that. Especially if I don't get the promotion, I sign up for the events to work so I can not work if I have a game to officiate or a paper or exams to study for. If I do get the promotion, a lot of it would primarily be making sure the events are staffed and that the people show up for their job. Regardless, there are not that many events until mid- late October which is when the volleyball thing would probably be starting to wind down. It could work either way.

Plus I do have an officer position in Tau Beta Sigma for next year as the historian/alumni secretary. Not a concern at the beginning of the year since I mainly just need to forward a few e-mails and scrapbook a page here and there so at the end of the school year, compiling a scrapbook of the year, won't be as much of a daunting task. I also have a counterpart in Kappa Kappa Psi and a committee of 4 or 5 people from both organizations that would, in theory, be helping me.

And of course, with having been married 2 1/2 years, Chris and I are contemplating whether or not to try to start our family. We'd definitely be aiming for a summer birth (June or July). We have a kids on both sides of the family that are around the same age (born within the last year or will be born in the next year). Only thing holding this back really is if Chris can't find a full time job. Already figured out an awesome health insurance plan that I can get through Fresno State that is $25 for a co-pay and 20% co-insurance for just about everything and it's only $908 for me for a year. It would slow down my schooling a little since I may drop down to 1/2 time or 3/4 time student to do everything once the baby is actually here since it's extremely important to have a mom at home.

I guess I just have so many things that are maybes and I just needed to clear my head a little. Any thoughts on any of this or more things I should consider? I know I need to pray about it, but other input would also be extremely helpful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take the job! It sounds like good money and it doesn't interfere with school.

As for the baby... here's my advice:

Wait until Chris has a steady full-time job (preferably with benefits) before really thinking about it.

And as a new mom and going to school, my sincere advice is to wait until after you graduate. The thing is, you could try planning for a summer birth, but what if that doesn't happen? If you miss a semester you have to reapply. That's why I've missed a year of school since having Alex.

Juggling school, work, and your husband's work schedule with a baby is very hard. Keep in mind that it will be you cutting back classes and it taking longer to graduate.

I know the "baby bug" is biting, but just give it a little more time to get everything in order. Trust me, it's worth it.

Chris and Clara Divelbiss said...

Thanks for the advice! The "baby bug" has definitely hit. Chris' youngest brother and his wife announced to us that they are 7 weeks along last week and my aunt had a baby New Year's Eve. Plus the middle brother and his wife had their 2nd child in April. Also a lot of couples in our ward have recently had kids or are expecting. We actually talked to a counselor today (needed to for bad side effects with NuvaRing) and mentioned that we were thinking about it and she was also mentioned the same things. We had a concern with Chris being older and causing possible birth defects, but apparently that doesn't really take effect until you are 40 and even then tests can be done to see.

I'm thinking I am going to take the job as long as we figure out some way to get the membership fee by next Monday. Other than that I just need to learn to drive the manual >.< Would not be fair to have Chris taking me to and from the games considering he is also looking for work.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, manual! I can shift but the clutch always causes some problems for me, haha.

I know it's hard when you are surrounded by babies, but just know that you and Chris are doing the very best for your future family :-) As for potential problems due to age, as I understand it, it's more about the age of the mother because it is the age of the eggs. 35 is the age when a woman is considered "high risk" due to increased chance of genetic problems such as Downs.

What kind of job is Chris looking for? Tell him to check out: usajobs.com maybe there's something there :-)

Chris and Clara Divelbiss said...

We were just being worrywarts about the family thing since we do have a 10 year age gap between us. Well technically 9 years and 9 months almost even to the day. Mine is August 11, 1986 and his is November 12, 1976.

He has checked out USA jobs, but he's taking another peer through. That was actually how he applied for the IRS job about a week ago. He actually just got an e-mail today about them wanting him to fill out an assessment thing and is in the process of filling it out now!

As far as manual transmission, I just tend to stall a lot... I actually got into a hit and run on our way back from Disneyland and we had stopped in Bakersfield at Chris' parents and on our way back out of town was my turn to drive the rest of the way home. Was at a stop light to turn and stalled and the car behind us, hit us, and then just changed lanes and continued down the street like nothing had happened. Wasn't too much damage (just needed to replace a tail light cover and some cosmetic damage), but scarred me. Trying to get over that fear.